Proud to be Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand Accredited
What does this mean?
Sustainability means delivering excellent wine to consumers in a way that enables the natural environment, the businesses and the communities involved, to thrive.
Under New Zealand Winegrowers’ Sustainability Policy, wine must be made from 100% certified grapes in fully certified winemaking facilities and certification must be through an independently audited programme — either Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand or one of the recognised organic or biodynamic certifications.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand was established in 1994 as an industry initiative directed through New Zealand Winegrowers and was commercially introduced in 1997 and adopted by growers from all the grape-growing regions. The introduction of winery standards in 2002 has been a significant development, which further substantiates the industry commitment to sustainable production.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand was developed in order to:
- Provide a ‘best practice’ model of environmental practices in the vineyard and winery.
- Guarantee better quality assurance from the vineyard through to the bottle.
- Address consumer concerns regarding products which are made taking care to respect the environment.
- Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand is an integral part of the future of New Zealand wine production. As such, the programme aims to deliver the following benefits:
- A framework for viticultural and winemaking practices that protect the environment while efficiently and economically producing premium wine grapes and wine.
- A programme of continual improvement to ensure companies operate with a goal of improving their operational practices.
- A platform for technology transfer so that companies are kept up to date regarding any new technology and its application.
- An external audit structure that has integrity and rigour to comply with market expectations.
- Opportunity to be a part of the positive future and the New Zealand Wine industry goal of 100% of grape growers and winemakers operating under approved independently audited sustainability programs.
- Blind River Estate is also has full certification under the AS/NZS ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management System.